Barnet Seniors Insider 20 PDF (September / October 2018) is now available to download here (PDF 1,016Kb, 8 sides of A4).
The Insider contains news for senior citizens in Barnet. It gives people practical information about local services, support, events, places to go and things to do that could interest and help them to live their lives to the full.
Contents of Insider 20
- Silver Week 1st – 8th October 2018
- You’re invited to Barnet’s Silver Sunday week of activities, ending with a party. Note that the link www.silversunday.org in the newsletter is wrong: it should have uk on the end like this www.silversunday.org.uk. There is a list of the events during Silver Week on page 5 of the newsletter.
- Volunteer Newsletter Editor needed
- Barnet Seniors’ Association issues this bi-monthly Newsletter which is distributed to 15,000 homes and public buildings across the borough of Barnet. We are looking for a new Editor with some experience.
- The Holistic Health Charity
- The Disability Foundation (TDF) offers complementary therapies to any disabled person or person with a chronic health condition and their carers, at their centre based at the Royal National Orthopaedic Hospital, Stanmore.
- Residents Associations in the London borough of Barnet
- Residents associations are organisations formed by groups of people from a specific geographic community who come together to address issues within their local area and act as a voice for their local community. Details of eleven associations are given.
- Dementia cafés and clubs
- There are now lots of dementia cafés and clubs in Barnet. A full list of places and times is included.
- Keeping you safe
- Street crime is often opportunistic, so making yourself less of a target, moving with purpose and being aware of your surroundings will go a long way towards keeping you safe.
- Top tips for unpaid carers
- 9 tips
- A big thank you to Peter Cragg
- A big thank you to Peter who is retiring from the committee of the Barnet Seniors’ Association
- Out and About in Barnet
- Things to do
- Advertise from £120
- Advertising in Barnet Seniors Insider is welcomed, with priority given to local organisations. Advertising space is limited and contributes towards costs.
- and mentions for…
- Constantia Care live-in and respite care service, The Finchley Charities sheltered housing, and The Fremantle Trust care services.
To read the full text of these articles, download the Insider 20 PDF.
Silver Sunday is an annual day of fun and free activities for older people across the UK. It celebrates the value and knowledge they contribute to our communities while combating loneliness and isolation.
On Sunday 2nd October 2016 Barnet Seniors’ Assembly will be hosting an Afternoon Tea Party Drop In Event at Hendon Town Hall, The Burroughs NW4 4AX, from 12.30pm until 4.00pm. A complimentary afternoon tea will be available, as well as entertainment, activities and information stalls. The London Borough of Barnet is once again making the Town Hall available.
Silver Sunday 2016 will precede a week of events and activities taking place throughout the borough for all senior residents. Further details of Silver Sunday week events are in Barnet Seniors Insider 8 PDF (September / October 2016) (PDF 1000kB, 8 sides of A4), and at https://www.barnet.gov.uk/citizen-home/adult-social-care/silver-sunday.html.
**** Update 21 October: a video made by Barnet TV is now available on YouTube at www.youtube.com/watch?v=yMZUChcwGNg featuring interviews with people at the event. ****
**** Update 11 October: photos of this event are now available at https://picasaweb.google.com/108013208605354669958/SilverSunday4thOctober15?feat=directlink. ****
Barnet Seniors’ Assembly and Barnet Council invite senior residents, family and friends to a fantastic FREE event on Silver Sunday 4th October 2015. The programme, still being developed, promises to include great entertainment, opportunities to find out how to get the most out of living in Barnet and a chance to get a taste of some of the activities available in the borough.
Come along to Hendon Town Hall, The Burroughs, NW4 4AX from 12.30 – 4.30. This is a drop in event. A delicious afternoon tea will be provided free. To help with catering it would be useful to know if you are coming just email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 0203 778 0151.
Silver Sunday is a national celebration of older people’s achievements. It is an annual day of fun and free activities for older people across the UK led by The Sir Simon Milton Foundation. The aim is to celebrate the value and knowledge older people contribute to our communities, while combating loneliness and isolation.
There are also other activities in Barnet primarily aimed at people aged 55+ throughout the week starting Monday 28 September 2015.