We held our first assembly of the year on 28 May 2015.
Rabbi Julia Neuberger gave a wide-ranging talk encouraging us, and others, to have a more positive view of ageing and older people. She encouraged us to volunteer more, and use technology to help us, and made a plea for more public toilets and benches so as not to trap people in their homes.
Dr Andrew Howe, Director of Public Health, Barnet, gave a talk showing that Barnet is doing quite well for older people, with statistics showing where more work is needed.
Mathew Kendall, Adults and Communities Director, London Borough of Barnet, is responsible for social workers and financial assessments for “care”, and gave a talk explaining what changes are on the way.
Councillor Lisa Rutter, Barnet’s Champion for Older People, talked about her Dementia Club.
There were talks and information stalls from a number of organisations:
The next assembly is planned for October.
A Barnet based solicitor will be speaking at our July meeting, organised jointly with Burnt Oak Pensioners Voice.
- Thursday 30th July 2015
- 1.30 pm to 3.30 pm
- North Road Community Centre, 230 Burnt Oak Broadway, Edgware HA8 0AP
- Speaker: Solicitor with 25 years of experience and expertise in Private Client Law and Older Client Affairs
- Tea / coffee and biscuits and raffle £1 per strip
Wills, Lasting Powers of Attorney, Probate and Care Fees are just some of the issues that they can help you understand, so if you are concerned about any of these then join us on 30th July when one of their solicitors will answer your questions, and do their best to put your mind at rest.
Our first main Seniors Assembly of 2015 (we have two each year) is on the theme “Living in an ageing society”.
- Thursday 28th May 2015
- Registration from 9.45 am, finish at 2.30 pm
- Hendon Town Hall, The Burroughs, Hendon, NW4 4AX (Nearest Underground – Hendon Central; Buses 143, 183, 326)
- Keynote Speaker: Rabbi Baroness Julia Neuberger DBE
- Free light refreshments and light lunch will be provided
- Information stalls to browse
Rabbi Baroness Julia Neuberger is a social commentator who writes and broadcasts on a variety of social and religious issues.
Come along if you would like to find out more about:
- Changes in care
- Keeping healthy
- New things to do
It will be a day of information including free refreshments and a light lunch. Other speakers include:
- Dr Andrew Howe, Director of Public Health on Keeping Healthy
- Mathew Kendall, London Borough Barnet on new developments in caring
- Cllr. Lisa Rutter, Barnet’s Champion for Older People
- plus presentations on suitable social opportunities and activities available to the over fifties
- plus information and advice stalls.
All senior residents are welcome but are asked to contact Sue on 07975606943 or email the address on the home page if wishing to attend. Entrance free.
Hear about different schemes under the Winter Well project that offer advice, grants and emergency equipment mainly aimed at assisting vulnerable and elderly people in Barnet.
- Monday 23rd March 2015
- 1.30 pm Refreshments for 2 pm meeting
- Trinity Church Centre, 15 Nether Street, North Finchley, N12 7NN (Near Tally Ho — map)
- Speaker: Jessie Drysdale, Project Officer Private Sector Housing, Environmental Health, London Borough of Barnet
- For further details email the address on the home page or just turn up
This is a public meeting, and non-members are welcome. No need to book.
If you are planning to join us on this visit please book as soon as possible, as we are trying to organise some transport.
- Tuesday 24th February 2015
- 11:00 am to about 3pm
- 105-119 Brentfield Road, Neasden, London NW10 8LD (map)
- Visit to BAPS Shri Swaminarayan Mandir Hindu temple
- There is a restaurant for lunch/refreshments
- RSVP to the email address on our home page if you would like to attend or would like more information
- Wednesday 19th November 2014
- 1.30pm Refreshments for a 2pm start
- Trinity Church, 15 Nether Street, North Finchley, London N12 7NN near Tally Ho (map)
- Speaker: Dr Judith Tobin, Macmillan GP Facilitator, Barnet CCG
- “What support is available for End of Life Care?”
We are pleased to announce that Dr Judith Tobin, Macmillan GP Facilitator for Barnet Clinical Commissioning Group, will be coming to speak to us on End of Life Care. This is a public meeting, and non-members are welcome. No need to book.